Common Ground Program
What is the program?
Camp Common Ground is a 4 day summer enrichment program delivered in partnership with Fremont High School to lay the foundation for a successful transition to the new campus and the new level of learning and expectations. The daytime program directly addresses the need to engage transitioning students by creating an early and effective shared space - the “common ground.” The program’s overarching goal is for incoming students to feel safe, connected, excited, and motivated to partake in the full range of educational and positive social opportunities offered in high school.
Camp Common Ground integrates the four essential themes:
Safety – Students are introduced to the peers, teachers, and resources that are available to them in their new school community
Connection – Students gain a sense of belonging and begin to see themselves as a valued member of the community
Excitement – Students are energized and look forward to beginning their new school experience with less anxiety and fear
Motivation – Students are inspired to be successful students who are engaged
Who can participate?
Camp Common Ground is specifically for incoming high school freshmen before the school year begins. The recruitment and selection of students is done in partnership with the Fremont High School in the preceding spring and summer. The program is designed to accommodate 50-100 students.
What do students learn?
As a result of participating in Camp Common Ground, students:
know more of their peers and upper grade students
are more knowledgeable about student support services and resources
feel more connected to their new school
are more prepared to engage with a diverse group of students
want to become involved with school co-curricular and/or extra-curricular activities
encourage positive peer interactions and healthy relationships
begin to think about their educational aspirations
want to help build a community of appreciation and responsibility
- Tuesday, August 9, 2016 at 9:00 AM - Friday, August 12, 2016 at 3:00 PM (PDT) - Add to Calendar
- Fremont High School - 1279 Sunnyvale Saratoga Road Sunnyvale, CA 94087 - View Map
Welcome Future Fremont Firebirds!
FHS SHADOW DAY
Student Shadow Days are designed to assist incoming 9th graders in learning more about Fremont High School before they start. Prospective students will shadow a student leader, go to their classes, learn about activities and sports, and meet other prospective students.
Shadow Day info for the 2016-17 School Year Coming Soon!
A sample Shadow Day follows our Monday schedule with slight modifications:
- 7:45--Parents should drop off students at the front of the school & bring them to the Main Office.
- 8:00 - 8:27--Students receive an introduction to FHS, and a brief overview of the day and materials received.
- 8:30 - 11:40--8th graders meet their Fremont partner for the day and follow them to 2nd - 4th blocks.
- 11:40 - 12:20--Lunch (students should bring a bag lunch with them & be prepared to eat on campus with their FHS partner student)
- 12:20 - 2:20--8th graders attend 5th & 6th blocks with their FHS partner
- 2:20 - 3:00--8th graders debrief with Guidance Counselors & the Admin Team to ask questions and share information about their experiences.
- 3:00 - 3:15--Parents should pick up their student at the front of the school.
What should students bring?
- A pen or pencil
- A bag lunch or money
- Brunch is $2.50 for a full meal or $2.25 for an entrée
- Lunch is $4.00 for a full meal or $3.75 for an entrée